- *This event has finished.
- Date: Friday, June 27, 2014, 7:00 pm
- Venue: Lecture Hall, International House of Japan
- Speaker: Patrick Donnelly (Poet; US-Japan Creative Artists’ Program Fellow)
Stephen D. Miller (Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
- Language: English & Japanese
(with consecutive interpretation and copies of the original texts)
- Co-sponsored by the Japan-US Friendship Commission (JUSFC)
- Admission: Free (reservations required, Seating: 70)
Patrick Donnelly began translating shakkyō-ka (poems with Buddhist themes) with American scholar Stephen D. Miller in 2004. The result was an explosion of new creative energy for Donnelly, as he began to borrow strategies from Japanese literature for his own poems.
Donnelly will read from his own Japan-influenced poems, and Miller and Donnelly will read from their waka translations, and talk about the collaborative process of bringing Japanese poetry into literary English.