- *This event has finished.
- Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 3:00–6:30 pm
- Venue: Kabayama-Matsumoto Room, International House of Japan
(*The venue has been changed from Banquet Room 3)
- Language: English (without interpretation)
- Coorganized by the International House of Japan and the Japan Foundation Asia Center
- Admission: Free (reservations required)
The Asia Leadership Fellow Program (ALFP), a joint program of the International House of Japan and the Japan Foundation, celebrates its twentieth anniversary this year. Since its inception in 1996, the program has brought more than 100 distinguished Asian intellectuals to Japan and contributed to creating a network of public intellectuals in Asia going beyond their respective backgrounds, cultures and professional arenas.
This year, the eight fellows listed below have engaged in dialogue on the challenges facing Asia and the world among themselves, as well as with their counterparts in Japan under the theme “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Visions for the Future?” Through collaborative activities and exchange of opinions, the fellows developed a deeper understanding of Asia and their neighboring countries and sought possibilities of finding or creating common ground on which Asian intellectuals can work together for a sustainable future for the region. In this public seminar, the fellows will share their thoughts on the current situation in their countries and issues they have been working on, along with the ideas they have developed during their two-month stay in Japan.
(For profiles of the fellows please see: http://alfpnetwork.net/en/fellow/)
- Arulanantham Sarveswaran (Sri Lanka) / Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Colombo
- Jaideep Hardikar (India) / Special Correspondent, The Telegraph, India
- Saranarat Kanjanavanit (Thailand) / Chairperson, Green World Foundation
- Karen Lai Yu Lee (Malaysia) / Programme Manager, Penang Women’s Development Corporation
- Mai Nomura (Japan) / Global Strategic Partnerships Manager, Central Europian University Business School, Hungary
- Dinah Roma (Philippines) / Poet; Professor, Department of Literature, De La Salle University, Manila
- Harry Surjadi (Indonesia) / Executive Director, Society of Indonesian Science Journalists
- Yin Shuxi (China) / Professor, Hefei University of Technology