- *This seminar has finished.
- Date: Thursday, October 27, 2016, 4:00–7:15 pm
- Venue: Lecture Hall, International House of Japan
- Language: English / Japanese (with simultaneous interpretation)
- Co-organized by the International House of Japan and the Japan Foundation Asia Center
- Admission: Free (reservations required)
The Asia Leadership Fellow Program (ALFP) is a joint program of the International House of Japan and the Japan Foundation that seeks to create a close, personal and professional network of public intellectuals in Asia, who have demonstrated outstanding leadership ability and are deeply rooted in and committed to civil society beyond their respective backgrounds and professional arenas. Since its inception in 1996, the program has brought more than 120 fellows to Japan and contributed to the enhancement of intellectual dialogue and exchange among those who share the same concerns about the future of Asia and the world.
This year, the seven fellows listed below have engaged in dialogue among themselves, as well as with their counterparts in Japan under the theme “Seeking Our Commons in Asia: How Can We Create Visions for the Future?” Through collaborative activities and exchange of opinions, the fellows developed a deeper understanding of Asia and their neighboring countries and sought possibilities of finding or creating common ground on which Asian intellectuals can work together for a sustainable future for the region. In this public seminar, the fellows will share their thoughts on the current situation in their countries and issues they have been working on, such as conditions surrounding Halal food in Japan or a territorial dispute in the South China Sea as seen from the Philippines, along with the ideas they have developed during their two-month stay in Japan.
(For profiles of the fellows please see: http://alfpnetwork.net/en/fellow/)
- Fujioka Emiko (Japan) / Secretary General, Fukushima Beacon for Global Citizens Network
- Amran Hossain (Bangladesh) / Faculty Member, Department of Political Science, University of Dhaka
- Lee Taeho (Korea) / Chair, Policy Committee, People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD)
- Phan Ngoc Diem Han (Vietnam) / Chief Executive Officer, Rainbow Media & Entertainment
- Kumar Sundaram (India) / Senior Researcher, Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace
- Criselda Yabes (Philippines) / Writer; Journalist (Independent)
- Ayang Utriza Yakin (Indonesia) / Lecturer, State Islamic University of Jakarta (UIN Jakarta); Vice-Chairman, Central Board of Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) for Mosque Affairs